Thank you for registering.

One of our academic counsellors will contact you within 1 working day.

Please check your email for login details.

Use Coupon: CART20 and get 20% off on all online Study Material

Total Price: Rs.

There are no items in this cart.
Continue Shopping

How to Prepare for NEET 2020


Table of Content

Neet Preparation TipsThe National Eligibility cum Entrance Test is a medical entrance exam and is conducted to fill MBBS and BDS seats in government and private medical colleges in India. Students willing to get an admission in top medical colleges in India have to clear this exam with a good score to achieve that. NEET is conducted by National Testing Agency (NTA) and it has replaced all other individual examinations conducted by states or colleges. Students, who qualify NEET get 15% reserved quota into all India Government medical and dental colleges.

NEET is one of the toughest medical entrance exams and medical aspirants have to prepare in the best possible way to grab the chance to get into top medical colleges in India. Very often, students start their NEET preparation at the beginning of 11th standard and continue to study for two years. But before starting their preparation, students should refer the syllabus and paper pattern for preparing in an effective manner. Let’s see the paper pattern of NEET that is followed every year.


Subject Total questions Total Marks
Physics 45 180
Chemistry 45 180
Biology 90 360
Grand Total 180 720


For Physics

S. No. Class XI Class XII
1 Physical world and measurement Electrostatics
2 Kinematics Current Electricity
3 Laws of Motion Magnetic Effects of Current and Magnetism
4 Work, Energy and Power Electromagnetic Induction and Alternating Currents
5 Motion of System of Particles and Rigid Body Electromagnetic Waves
6 Gravitation Optics
7 Properties of Bulk Matter Dual Nature of Matter and Radiation
8 Thermodynamics Atoms and Nuclei
9 Behaviour of Perfect Gas and Kinetic Theory Electronic Devices
10 Oscillations and Waves  


For Chemistry

1 Some Basic Concepts of Chemistry Solid State
2 Structure of Atom Solutions
3 Classification of Elements and Periodicity in Properties Electrochemistry
4 Chemical Bonding and Molecular Structure Chemical Kinetics
5 States of Matter: Gases and Liquids Surface Chemistry
6 Thermodynamics General Principles and Processes of Isolation of Elements
7 Equilibrium p- Block Elements
8 Redox Reactions d and f Block Elements
9 Hydrogen Coordination Compounds
10 s-Block Element (Alkali and Alkaline earth metals) Haloalkanes and Haloarenes
11 Some p-Block Elements Alcohols, Phenols and Ethers
12 Organic Chemistry- Some Basic Principles and Techniques Aldehydes, Ketones and Carboxylic Acids
13 Hydrocarbons Organic Compounds Containing Nitrogen
14 Environmental Chemistry Biomolecules
15   Polymers
16   Chemistry in Everyday Life


For Biology

1 Diversity in Living World Reproduction
2 Structural Organisation in Animals and Plants Genetics and Evolution
3 Cell Structure and Function Biology and Human Welfare
4 Plant Physiology Biotechnology and Its Applications
5 Human physiology Ecology and environment


NEET (AIPMT) Paper Analysis

Difficulty Level of NEET Paper – 2017

Difficulty Level of NEET Paper- 2017

According to experts, 59 questions of 236 marks were easy in 2017 NEET paper. 79 questions of 316 marks were moderate and 42 questions of 168 marks were tough.

Difficulty Level of NEET Paper – 2016


Difficulty Level of NEET Paper- 2016

According to experts, 70 questions of around 280 marks can be considered Easy, 71 questions of 284 marks can be considered to moderately tough and 39 questions of 156 marks were difficult.

Class wise Distribution of marks in %age

2017 NEET Paper

In Physics, 49% of the questions were from class XI and remaining 51% were from class XII.

In Chemistry, 42% were from class XI and 58% were from class XII.

In Botany, 47% of the questions were from class XI and remaining 53% were from class XII.

In Zoology, 67% of the questions were from class XI and remaining 33% from class XII.

Class wise Distribution of marks in percentage NEET 2017

2016 NEET Paper

In Physics, 49% of the questions were from class XI and remaining 51% were from class XII.

In Chemistry, 36% were from class XI and 64% were from class XII.

In Botany, 52% of the questions were from class XI and remaining 48% were from class XII.

In Zoology, 57% of the questions were from class XI and remaining 43% from class XII.

Class wise Distribution of marks in percentage NEET 2016

Best Books for NEET (AIPMT) Prepatation

Subjects Books
Physics Concepts of Physics by HC Verma
Problems in General Physics- I.E. Irodov
Concept of Competition Physics- Agarwals
Chemistry Organic Chemistry by Paul Bruice
Physical Chemistry by O.P. Tandon
Organic Chemistry by Morrison Boyd
Biology Objective Biology by Dinesh
Botany- AC Dutta
Trueman’s Biology- Volume 1 and 2

NEET Preparation

Subject wise tips for NEET preparation

As you draft a preparation plan for NEET, do remember that the approach to your board exams and the NEET entrance are entirely different. While the former requires a focused approach to showcase lengthy derivations, the other requires quick tips and tricks to achieve the end answer. For the same syllabus as your class XI and XII Physics, Chemistry, and Mathematics, NEET preparation is more focused on the intricate details and skips the generalization. You might need to overview the past year paper patterns to understand the most important area of the entire syllabus, which are recurrently asked in the exam and probably skip those which are actually ignored. So the need is to be smart as you go through the entire syllabus and focus on different chapters accordingly. This will improve your efficiency.

Let’s understand the specifics of preparing the three subjects.

Tips for studying Physics

Always begin your Physics preparation for NEET, by understanding the basic concepts shared in your NCERT Books. This will serve two important purposes, firstly you are simultaneously preparing for your board exams and secondly you are actually setting a strong base for yourself to work upon. Once the basic concepts are done, you can choose to practice more complicated ones that are NEET focused from good reference books like Concepts of Physics by HC Verma or Objective Physics by DC Pandey. These will offer better choice of questions to practice. Remember, Physics is a conceptual subject and it is necessary that you understand the concepts well so that it is easy to solve problems.

You have to practice the problems regularly after studying the concepts. This will help you remember the concepts in the long run. You should be having good analytical skills to solve the problems in Physics.

Tips for studying Chemistry

Chemistry contains theoretical concepts, problems and lots of chemical equations. Along with studying from NCERT books, you can refer popular books by expert authors to clear all the concepts. While studying, you can mark important points and make notes so that it will be helpful in future when you revise. As you practice the equations and problems, try doing so from good reference books like Modern’s ABC of Chemistry for class XI and XII, or Dinesh’s Chemistry. You can also refer specific books for Inorganic, Organic or Physical Chemistry.

Tips for studying Biology

Biology is the most important subject for studying MBBS and BDS. In NEET, this subject also has more weightage than Physics and Chemistry. You can study from some good books along with NCERT books of Biology. Concepts are important that can be useful while solving various types of questions during the examination. You can refer Trueman’s Biology Volume 1 and 2, Objective Biology by Dinesh, Pradeep Publication’s Biology for practicing objective type questions

These are some of the tips for medical exam for students who seek answers to How to prepare for NEET. Students following these NEET preparation tips can easily prepare each subject in the desired timeline.

NEET (AIPMT) 2020 Preparation Tips

Let’s check out the tips and tricks for NEET Preparation below:

Practicing problems for problem- oriented subjects on a regular basis is a good way to get a grip on concepts. While studying a particular subject, you can select one topic and keep practising the problems after learning the concepts and formulae thoroughly. You can also make your own shortcuts while solving numerous problems continuously.

Create a study timetable

A well- prepared timetable can help NEET aspirants to stick to their routine and give equal time to all the subjects. You can also allocate time for mock tests and evaluate the mistakes in each subject. It is time to understand that medical preparation is not a piece of cake. Those who stick to their spirit and dedication, are able to make this journey a sure shot success.

Now this can be done in many ways.

  • Prioritise the Topics: Do this basis the previous years’ paper patterns

  • Keep the Perfect Balance: Balance out study and rest time proportionately to maintain good health and mental peace throughout

  • Adhere to the Timetable: Once you start deviating from the timetable, it gets difficult to catch up, so don’t let that happen. If required keep a buffer day every week, to complete whatever is left out

Solve last year’s NEET papers

While solving NEET sample papers will let you know about your preparation level, it will also help you to learn time management. Practicing previous papers will allow you to improve your speed and accuracy. Solving them will give you an idea about question paper pattern, the difficulty level of questions and classes and questions weightage in NEET. It will also give you an opportunity to set pace to work within the allocated three hour window. With 180 questions in NEET and 180 minute window to the exam, you have just about a minute for every question, so practice, practice and practice, until you reach there.

Weaker Areas Demand More Time and Focus: While you set a defined pace of practice, you will be able to identify the sections that need more work. Use the buffer day every week to practice problems from the same. Seek timely guidance from your coach, peer or senior to help you through the same. Let them evaluate your level of improvement on a regular basis and share feedback. This will help you improve and inculcate a sense of confidence.

Define Tricks and Codes to Help You: Entrance exams like NEET are all about time management. In order to efficiently sail through the questions in the limited time period, its better you identify few analogies or codes to remember formulae, definitions, and diagrams.

Take breaks

You should take scheduled breaks while preparing for NEET. Taking breaks allow you to concentrate better on difficult topics and let you prepare in an efficient manner.

Study materials

In any competitive exam, study materials play a major role in the preparation. You should choose two to three books before starting a topic and study with those limited books. Changing books often will lead to confusion and you will end up wasting more time on the same topic.

Avoid Common Mistakes to Stay on Track with NEET Preparation

  1. Those who falter with their time tables can run into deep trouble. NEET demands dedication and you have to give that wholeheartedly. A pile of left out topics isn’t good in the long run.

  2. NCERT is Very Important: Under the burden of so many reference books and coaching notes, do not forget to strengthen your foundation from NCERT books. NCERT syllabus sufficiently covers more than 60% of NEET question paper.

  3. Keep a Balanced Schedule: NEET preparation does not call for deteriorating health. So maintain a balance between studies and rest. It is very important to maintain your mental health as well.

  4. Never ignore any Subject: All of the three subjects are equally important, so never rate them. You are required to prepare each of them at par and not leave any topic untouched. You can however prioritise the time devoted to a specific topic, per the past year paper patterns.

  5. Refer Limited Books: Referring a plethora of books will not help your case. Be specific when it comes to books. So, do not skip NCERT and refer only the best one-two reference books that assist practice, in each of the three subjects.

Revise Your Subjects Well

Proper revision helps aid memorization and keeps a regular check on your practice levels. Now you can actually revise in many ways.

  1. Revise Monthly: You can chose MCQs from the topics covered in the month (per your planner) and devote a minute each to every question. At the end of it, identify where you lag and work on the area. This will help stimulate a real time exam environment for you and with every passing month you will become more accustomed to solving these questions in the required manner.

  2. Prepare Self Notes: One of the best ways to revise is to study and prepare condensed notes for yourself. So as you learn a diagram and associated theory, practice it with your own hands, make analogies and revise it at regular intervals. You can also refer revision notes shared by askIITians.

  3. Participate in Regular Mock Tests: In your coaching or at home, take ample mock tests by timing yourself. Recreate the exam environment with no disturbance for three hours and put in genuine efforts. Get the test assessed by a coach/guide and work on the areas of development then and there. This performance analysis will gradually boost your morale as you will see a development graph. You can also enrol for test series with askIITians

These preparation tips to crack NEET will help you to secure a good rank in NEET and avoid making costly mistakes during the preparation. With the competition increasing each year, NEET aspirants should be careful in preparation and allocating time for important topics. One of the important tips to crack NEET is to study limited topics and get thorough in all its concepts rather than studying all the topics in all the subjects without having a grip on concepts and formulae.

Thus, in this article, you came to know various preparation tips to crack NEET along with the syllabus, exam paper pattern and previous year’s paper analysis.

You Might Like to Refer:

NEET (AIPMT) 2019 Solution | NEET (AIPMT) 2019 Cut off | NEET (AIPMT) 2019 Answer Key | NEET Coaching


Upto 50% Scholarship on Live Classes

Course Features

  • Video Lectures
  • Revision Notes
  • Previous Year Papers
  • Mind Map
  • Study Planner
  • NCERT Solutions
  • Discussion Forum
  • Test paper with Video Solution